1. Cotton is the only 100% natural fiber thread made especially for sewing machines. It can be a bit linty, so clean your machine frequently when using it.
What to look for: extra long staple thread that is very smooth with-out bumps on the spool.
2. Rayon thread has a high sheen, and is both soft and heat resistant. Unfortunately, it’s not colorfast and neither as strong nor as durable as polyester.
What it does: 30 wt. is intended to show and 40wt. has a subtle sheen.
3. Metallic: There is a huge range of quality of metallic threads.
Best when: used with a polyester bobbin thread, a Metallic needle and a lower than normal bobbin tension.
4. Polyester: is strong, durable and is available in a broad range of colors. Sizes range from very thin to very thick.
Advantages: strong, durable and color fast, with either a matte or a sheen finish. Most are virtually lint free.
5. Silk: Great thread!
What to look for: 100% pure filament silk.
6. Monofilament: Use only polyester monofilament. It will not yellow over time or melt easily.
What to look for: comes in clear and smoke colored.