Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Middle Layer: The Batt

I'd like to talk about 'the batt' in the next few posts. This comes to mind because I’ve been making quilts for charity.

I used to say when asked “what kind of batt do I use?” I had three requirements; 80 percent or more cotton, in my house and the right size. But I’ve learned a few things. A 80 percent cotton 20 percent poly batt with a scrim (a thin stabilizer in the batt) was my go to for years: a great choice for many quilts, but not for one to probably be washed and dried many times. 

 Let me explain, I feel that the hardest thing we can do to fabric is put it in the dryer. My husband could never figure out why his cotton shirts never wore out. The answer is simple; I always hung them to dry! The same principle applies to our quilts. However I realize it’s not reasonable to expect all quilts to be ‘dried flat’. 

So a major consideration needs to be considered ‘the batt’. Simply put, quilt batting is a layer of insulation between the top and bottom layer of your quilt’s patchwork. There are numerous types of batting available and a wide range of thicknesses, which can make it difficult to know which one to choose for your project. Batting can be created using a variety of materials. Typically, the fibers are held together using one of many techniques, which helps keep the batting together.

No comments: