Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back Art

I like the backs of my quilts to be as interesting as the fronts. I often include blocks that did not make it to the front of the quilt and a fancy label too!








Ping An
Melody Crust
Dimensions: 63”w X 73”h
1998
China! Land of mystery, world of wonder. I suffered culture shock. I found the Chinese people to be friendly, and full of humor. We hiked for a couple of hours, up thousands of steps to a small mountain village. The village, Ping An, was the gateway to the terraced rice fields. The local hotel was charming, if lacking in modern conveniences.
I threw open my mind, hungry to absorb every sight, sound, smell color, texture.
This quilt is hand appliqued and machine pieced with a large variety fabrics. Machine quilting explores the textural effects.

No comments: