Friday, January 24, 2014

My Lucky View













We have Bald Eagle's in Western Washington. We have mating pair living on our little lake for a few years.   I can't believe I can sit in my studio and watch eagles out my window.  I know there is a nest up the lake, but despite it's size, I can't find it. Eagle's are found near large bodies of open water with an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting. The Bald Eagle is an opportunistic feeder which subsists mainly on fish, which it swoops down and snatches from the water with its talons. It builds the largest nest of any North American bird and the largest tree nests ever recorded for any animal species, up to 13 ft deep, 8.2 ft wide, and 1 ton in weight.

Bald Eagles are not actually bald; the name derives from an older meaning of "white headed". The adult is mainly brown with a white head and tail. The sexes are identical in plumage, but females are larger than males. The beak is large and hooked. The plumage of the immature is brown.

No comments: