Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recharge your creative juices

I don’t know about you, but I often feel the need to recharge my creative juices. You may be inspired by a walk in nature, or writing ideas for the first 20 minutes of your day - before eating breakfast or talking to anyone. Listening to music or books on tape might also be inspirational.

Creativity has been attributed to everything from divine intervention to chance. Some say it is a trait we are born with; others say it can be taught. I think creativity is letting new ideas into your conscious brain.

For me, new ideas usually stem from new experiences. These experiences often come from travel. It can happen in far away places or as close as your hometown.

Recently I went to one of my favorite haunts; Rhinestone Rosie’s. The shop, owned by Rosalie Bryzelak Sayyah, is located in Seattle’s upper Queen Anne neighborhood. Rosie and her daughter Lucia, have on display thousands of pins, earrings, bracelet’s, dress clips, barrettes and tiaras. Rosie specializes in the repair and restoration of pre 1950, costume jewelry.

This may sound odd, but remember, I do love all things sparkly. A long look through the cases filled with different shapes and colors of jewelry sets my mind to wandering. Letting my eyes wander the cases and allowing thoughts to flow, recharges me. New ideas flood my brain. Then I can't wait to get into my studio and create something new and magical. Check out her store. You will be inspired for sure! http://rhinestonerosie.com/

If you feel like you are in a creative rut, try going to the nearest costume jewelry store or park, go on an architectural tour or to an art gallery. Inspiration is everywhere. You just need to be open to the possibilities. Try it some time and see if it works for you.

2 comments:

Flynn Quilt Frame Company said...

Melody - it was fun to see you in Houston, even for just a minute! I know you could feel Kate and me admiring the vintage jewelry you were wearing. Kate's grandmother, my mom, had the typical large collection of beautiful 1950s costume jewelry and all three of us loved going through it and admiring it. In fact, I have a picture of Kate all dolled up in a collection of her grandmother's beads and bracelets when she was about 3! You are right about inspiration and thanks for the link!

Brooke Flynn

Melody Crust said...

Thanks Brooke!