Friday, October 3, 2014

The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)

Lady Marlene bustier, lace, jersey, satin, boning, c. 1988


Today was my day to spend in the fashion district.  I like to take public transportation. I look at it as part of the City experience. This day I decided to brave the subway. To make a long story short, it wasn't easy or timely. There is something about coming out of the hole they call the subway, that totally disorientates me every time. I prefer to take the bus. Alt least with the bus, I know which is up town and which is down town.

As it worked out I spent a long time at FIT looking at the exhibitions not much time shopping. I'll try again tomorrow.

  Exposed: A History of Lingerie examines intimate apparel from the 18th century to the present, featuring over 70 of the most delicate, luxurious, and beautifully crafted objects from the museum’s permanent collection. Each piece illustrates key developments in fashion, such as changes in silhouette, shifting ideals of propriety, and advancements in technology. 

Dance & Fashion is a stunning exploration of the relationship between these two embodied art forms. Organized by the museum’s director, Dr. Valerie Steele, and set in a dramatic mise-en-scène created by architect Kim Ackert, the exhibition features nearly 100 dance costumes and dance-inspired fashions, ranging from the 19th century to the present, many of which have never been exhibited.
Halston, woman’s costume for Tangled Night, 1986, lent by Martha Graham Dance Company      

No comments: