Tuesday, February 14, 2017

About Starch

I like to starch my fabric. I prefer to use concentrated liquid starch, purchased at a big box store. A
heavy solution of 50% water to 50% starch. Spraying the starch to warm fabric, makes the fabric firm faster.
  • With aerosol cans I must wait for the foam to sink in...waiting just isn't in my vocabulary!

Why starch?
  • I prefer to work with firm fabric.
  • It stabilizes bias edges
  • Stabilizes light weight fabrics
  • Stabilizes fabric for some decorative stitching
I starch after washing, piecing and the final pressing of the top. And any other time I think it necessary!
  • Be aware that bugs like to eat the starch!
To remove starch build-up from your iron, place a couple of wet paper towels in the sink add the HOT iron and wipe!

No comments: